Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Highway to hell...

"I just have to laugh, because at this point your trip is freaking tragic."

That was a text message I received from a co-worker about six hours in to a 500 plus mile road trip to South Dakota. Let me give you the bulleted list.
  • On Sunday night prior to departure I set three alarms. I didn't sleep well because before travel, I typically don't - especially if I have to get up early to do so. I rolled over at 6:42 a.m. Zero alarms went off.
  • I pull up to the office, load up the car I was taking and realize that I forgot to grab my notebook. I had to get my keys back out, get back into the office and get it. Not a huge deal, but one of those minor details that just annoys you. 
  • I am waiting on my travel companion for this trip (he's not late, I'm just sayin'). This time it's the new marketing assistant and he's only been with the team not even five months. I figure if a week on the road with me doesn't make him cry, lose his mind, or quit - we're in good shape for the long haul. 
  • As I wait for him I scan through my email and see four emails from event sponsors warning of a blizzard. In April. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. I call them and through a twenty minute call we decide that we should forge on because the minute that we don't - it won't snow and we'll look like idiots. So we leave the parking lot. 
  • I answer more emails regarding the status of the trip, and phone calls warning of the weather. At this point, we're too far in to turn back. We check the radar - it looks like if we can get there by 6:30 p.m. we'll be fine.  We MapQuest the rest of our journey and it's not going as planned. It's going to take longer. Apparently two -lane driving through Nebraska eats time. 
  • It starts to cloud up as we reach South Dakota - but we're good. We pull into the resort and things are good. However, the resort is preparing for the storm and at this point I'm a little worried, but figure - it's out of my control I just have to go with it. 
  • I try to download my email with the hotel's wireless internet. Fail. 
  • I use our company Verizon card. Fail. 
  • I realize this place is for relaxing. Not working. So, I hit the bar for a drink. It's packed with people predicting Snowmaggedon IV. I got back to the room and crawl into bed.
  • I hear freezing rain at midnight. Damn. 
  • The remote control is glow in the dark. Like nuclear glow in the dark. I have to hide it because the light is keeping me awake. 
  • I wake up at 6 a.m. and can't see cars in the parking lot. It's a white out. 
  • More phone calls to decide what to do. People at the hotel have not been able to get to work. Speakers are dropping like flies, sponsors are dropping like flies. The wind is making this worse than it really is - sorta. 
  • We cancel the event. All that work, and Walda crapped all over it. 


There was one good thing that happened. I found an Ethernet cord in my bag. I plugged into the wall and now have Internet access. It may be my saving Grace. Maybe.

No comments: