Tuesday, March 10, 2015

It's getting closer...

I went through my travel book!
The countdown keeps ticking away, and I am not even sure what day it is.

I am prepared. I have all the documentation I need, I have my suitcase packed, I have things ready to cram into a backpack to carry on, I have my itinerary tucked into a travel binder with reservations and information, and I even went through my travel book and marked off larger points of interest for quick reference.

However, I have officially hit "oh poop!" mode.

I have learned that traveling internationally for a longer period of time is nothing like traveling domestic for work.

(In case you missed it, what I'm actually saying is that I am starting feel a little overwhelmed and out of control and I don't admit that often ever).

I feel like I'm prepping to go on maternity leave.

It's not the travel that has me anxious, it's the prep that has me anxious. I'm not just a phone call away. I'm off. The. Grid. Literally. There will be a day or two where I am roaming BFE South Africa in a Jeep looking at lions. It's not like I can take a call from the office at that point. This may be good for me, but it doesn't exactly give me peace of mind.

While I'm gallivanting the globe we have a series of events going on, and the spring is generally a busy time for us at the office. For example, the invitations for said events aren't delivered yet (we ordered them in February), and the RSVP dates begin March 20. Can you see why I might be a little tense? I have complete faith in my team here at the office (they are the best), but I also want to make sure I can make their jobs as easy as possible. They have agreed to help me out, so the least I could do is help them out. I know, I know, I need to punch my inner control freak in the throat and run away laughing. I just can't do that. It's not my nature.

My nature is to be over organized. To be prepared. To anticipate problems. To fix or control situations. I can't do that when I'm all the way on the other side of planet Earth.


For now, my coworkers will have to forgive me as I "go all" OCD on them over the next couple of days. I'm lucky to work for a company that has not only encouraged me to get the most out of KARL, but also given me the time to do it. I know things will work like they're supposed to, and if they don't? Well, I just won't know about it.

And most times ignorance is bliss.
 

No comments: