Tuesday, March 17, 2015

KARL goes international...

I have absolutely no idea what time it is, and I think it might be March 17.

That means we've made it through travel leg No. 1 on our way to South Africa. 

It's been an interesting day so far. 

I learned the last row of a airplane has narrower seats. I'm not just saying that either. A flight attendant told is that as we cattle called our way onto a Southwest flight. I would have snapped a pic of our close quarters, but reaching for my phone may have been catastrophic. I'm just glad our palate excersise in  Rock Springs two years ago prepared us to be nearly sitting on top of each other for a couple hours.

We survived! And, I even got a little siesta in. Another thing I learned is that sharing body heat makes me sleepy. 

Sleep total tally: 1 hour

Once we arrived in Atlanta it was off to the international terminal. It was pretty slow (not too many people mulling about) and it was very clean. We had about six hours to explore, so  three if us (me, Heather and Rebecca) set off to find a neck pillow.

Solomon at the "everything is an accessory store" was awesome. He proceeded to show us the latest and greatest in neck pillows. We all walked out with one, and Rebecca walked out with a neck pillow that vibrates. She also got a discount because it was a floor model and he even threw in some free batteries. I know who I need to take shopping! 

We returned to the gate area to wait to board our first international flight leg to London. We commandeered a charging station and loaded it up with plugins to get our last charges before boarding. 



Virgin Atlantic loads a plane right. Back to front. I'll go on record and say this was the biggest airplane I've been on. I was seated all the way in the back (row 63) and I had an aisle seat. When we arrived at our seats they were full. We had a blanket, head phones, a little pillow with a paper pillowcase, and a little kit full of things we might need on our flight. It was awesome of the airline to give us presents, but it was hard to juggle it all and try to get seated. Put it all in a branded bag! (Marketing tip of the day). 

We weren't in the air long before we were served our snacks and a beverage. Some of us were really excited that adult beverages were free! I also decided to take in some free in-flight entertainment and watched Horrible Bosses 2. Some of us moved around a little after dinner was served (it didn't suck!) and then the lights went down. 

That's when the turbulence started.   

There were a couple of rocky portions of the flight. Toss us around rough. Luckily they were sporadic and short lived. I took the night time opportunity to try out my neck pillow and sleep mask, but it's not as easy to sleep on a plane as I thought. In fact, it was really hard. I don't know if I could call what I did sleeping.

Sleep tally: 4 hours

I had finally caught myself almost sleeping when the cabin lights came back on and breakfast was being served.  

After I down this yogurt and muffin, and our rubbish gets picked up, our agenda includes seeing London in about 10 hours. 

But first, I have got to brush my teeth and look less homeless. 
  

No comments: