Thursday, April 2, 2015

The South Africa blog bank, I don’t see it…

The leopard is an elusive creature.

As I wrote about earlier in the safari day blog, we had gotten a tip that a leopard had been spotted. It was the only one of the Big Five we had yet to see, and we wanted to see it.

We dodged little elephants, and bounded over gravel roads to get to the bridge where the sighting had been. We pulled up and sat staring into what appeared to be a river bottom with a watering hole. There was a cape buffalo chilling out in the water and several safari Jeeps and vehicles were all parked on the bridge to try and spot the leopard.


Our guide was aggressive and weaved into the traffic to get us a good look.

“There, over there in the weeds.”

I looked in that direction but didn’t see anything. I saw weeds. A lot of weeds.

“Oh! There it is,” someone said. I was still staring and trying to locate the cat. I saw nothing.

“I see it, man is it camouflaged!” Someone else yelled.

I still saw nothing. But, I didn’t want to look stupid. “Oh, yeah. There it is.”

The Jeep was enamored with this animal that I didn’t see, at all. Nothing. Nodda. Zippo.

 I felt like I was in a Friends episode.

“You see it?” someone asked Brett.

“No, I don’t,” he answered. OK, I didn’t feel so bad.

 “I really don’t see it either,” I said.

Then it moved. Then I saw it. "Oh, there it is! How awesome."

Safari

No comments: