Friday, April 3, 2015

The South Africa blog bank, shower visitor…

UntitledOne of the most interesting accommodations of the trip was at Hannah Lodge. 

This lodge was out in the middle of nowhere, and had beautiful views from the main lodge. It also had small chalets that served as the rooms. In each room were two twin beds made separately, but pushed together. There was also a bathroom, sink, cabinet, and of course a shower. The doors were all sliding doors like on a patio and the windows were wide open when we checked in.  

Wide. Open. 



Once we were checked in we headed to the lodge for lunch before going on another game ride. I would call it a safari, but this was really pasture cruising. This adventure was not near as exciting as the Kruger experience, but it was still a chance to get outside and into the breeze. We did see a few roaming animals, like a couple giraffes, zebras, and more impala.

When we arrived back at the lodge Wade followed me to my chalet that I was sharing with Chelsea for the night. He was going to borrow some tweezers and needle to remove a splinter from his finger. When we arrived through the sliding door Chelsea was already in the room. Our conversation went a little like this:


He gone!
Chelsea: "We have a visitor in our shower."

All I could think about was a snake, or worse.  This sent me into flight mode and I may, or may not, have shoved Wade toward the bathroom.
 
Me: "Go get it out." 

Wade: (resisting the shove I may or may not have executed) "Wait, what is it?"

Chelsea: "It's just a frog, but the look of terror on both your faces was adorable." She said this with a laugh. I'm so glad she could laugh about weird things in the shower. I sure as heck can't!

Me: (shoving Wade toward the bathroom) "Go get it out."

I tried really hard to be a big girl in this situation, but I hate amphibians, reptiles, and creepy crawly things of all sorts. I want nothing to do with them. At all. I don't mind spiders though.


Wade: "At home I would just pick it up, but what if it's poisonous?" It's not like we had our amphibian guide handy to identify the species.

Me: (handing over a teacup and saucer) "Here. Use this."

The frog was removed and he let it go outside in the grass. Wade was minus a splinter, we were minus a frog. 

It was a win-win situation.

No comments: