Tuesday, May 12, 2015

A day at the SPA, sorta...

It's starting to look like an office.
A routine has started at the new gig. I've been here all of 12 days and I'm starting to feel like I know what I'm doing. Sort of.

The meeting requests have started flowing in and my work schedule is filling up fast. There are lunches and meet and greets set up, and I have already started planning activities and events. In fact, I got to use a real bakery to order breakfast pastries. A legitimate bakery! They have cute boxes and everything! I was more excited about this than I should have been, but when all you've had is Dillon's for the past five years it's the little things that make your day. Ordering seven dozen yummy treats from an actual pastry chef, did indeed, make my day.

The part of a new gig that is sometimes the most difficult is getting to know new coworkers, or learning names and faces - especially when you don't see everyone every day. I couldn't begin to name all the linemen, but I can tell you everybody that works in the front office. Just don't give me a pop quiz any time soon.

Overall, I'd say the early transition period has gone really well.

The folks here at my new gig are very nice. They greet you, they want to chit chat and they genuinely enjoy working with each other. This morning I had a great laugh to myself after my encounter.

My day starts with a trip to the break room, a packet of energy drink mix, and a plastic water bottle. I have done this 10 out of my 12 days at the office, the same thing every day. I am a creature of habit.

I get to the office. I put my stuff in the cupboard. I grab a drink mix packet from my desk drawer. I grab my tall water bottle. I walk to the break room. I dump the mix into the bottle. I fill said bottle with water. I shake. I wipe it off because the container is not 100 percent leak proof. I walk back to my office with pink water. I pour it over the ice I bring in my insulated Christmas tumbler. I begin my day.

Today was the first day anybody really asked me any questions about my routine.

"Do you go to the spa?" I was asked in the break room this morning.

"I have been to one," I answered. I felt this was kind of a random question for 7:10 a.m., but I smiled and answered.

"I love the spa, but I just don't get to one as much as I should," they answered. "I've never gotten a water bottle from one though, you must have hit up the right one!" It took me a minute and I was really, really confused. She walked out the door and I followed, still confused, but I didn't want to say anything because I don't know anybody well enough yet to be myself (snarky).

I sat down and poured my pink drink into the glass, and it hit me.

On the side of my water bottle in big green letters. NC SPA.

Just roll with it. 

The North Carolina Sod Producers Association. This water bottle isn't from a spa, it was part of a random KARL Christmas gift.

I laughed again to myself, and just rolled with it.

Any day that starts with a laugh (and blog material) is going to be a good one (or at least has greater potential).

No comments: