Thursday, June 11, 2015

Adventures in home furnishings...


Ta da! I did it all by myself. 
My apartment is starting to look like somebody actually lives there. It only took about 45 days to get things accomplished.

Don't judge.

I had socializing to do, concerts to enjoy, work to go to, and more important things on the burners. I wasn't in any big hurry to get things hung up, bought, and moved around. This week I had some time so I decided to just bite the bullet and get things accomplished.

My first project was framing the prints I ordered after my South Africa trip. I ordered these prints and didn't even consider size. I just wanted something that was different. Little did I know that framing these things would be a project all in itself. I had drawn out my gallery, decided what I wanted and then ordered prints, and started thinking about what I wanted to do with the frames. Did I want them all to match? Coordinate? Maybe contrast? So many things to think about, so I went to Pinterest and was overwhelmed with ideas.


This little project came to a screeching halt when I strolled into a chain store specializing in home furnishings and framing. I went to the custom framing counter because I was having a hard time finding frames for the odd sizes I had purchased. As I showed him the sizes he started to estimate the cost. "It's going to be about 12 hundred."

"Dollars?" I asked (it slipped out). Good Lord, were the frames made of elephant tusk or gold?

"Um, yes," he looked at me like I was a fool thinking I could get it any cheaper. "That's with the 60 percent discount we're offering this week."

"Oh, OK. Well, that is something I'm going to have to consider, but thanks for the estimate," I ran like hell from that store.

I started doing some research and then kicked myself for not researching these things before purchasing the prints. Why didn't I just get standard sizes? Because, well, that would have been easy. And Pinterest said this was a great contrast of sizes. Pinterest - 358 Sarah - 2. Pinterest is a horribly amazing thing, but it steers me in the wrong direction 88 percent of the time.

The standard sizes I could frame I went ahead and got frames for. They were on sale, and I liked them. The odd ball seven laid on the floor for another 25 days. Then I had a random thought. I could build them! I headed to a craft store (but not on a Sunday) and picked up the type of frames you build. I selected the right sizes, got the hardware, and then headed to a home improvement store for some faux glass. What the custom framing guy was going to do for about $1200 I managed to do for under $200.

Problem solved on the framing, but I still didn't have a table or chairs. How was I supposed to invite people over if I don't have places for them to sit?  It's not like we're 8-years-old anymore and can sit on the floor for a few hours. We're old. Nobody would be able to walk for the rest of the week. I digress.

The research started. I made a trip over to the gigantic furniture store in Kansas City and browsed around looking for things I liked, and could maybe afford. Out of thousands of options I narrowed it down to about six things that fit my budget and style. I had two tables picked out, and four couches I could tolerate. My budget can only tolerate one larger purchase at a time, so I opted to go the cheap route first and get the dining table.

I want to toss out here that picking furniture is harder than picking a mate. Seriously. I have been eyeing furniture since April 26 and yesterday I finally made a decision. Picking furniture is not something you take lightly. This piece has to be with you damn near forever so you have to be selective. It has to fit. You have to like it. There is a lot of anxiety involved in this level of commitment. It was horrifying! And of course, I wasn't sure I made the right choice.

Hauled it in one piece at a time. 
I saved myself $80 by driving the 24 minutes over to the gigantic furniture superstore and went through their warehouse area to pick up my new table. I didn't even have to get out of the truck. It was amazing. I signed my paper and was back on my way home.

The table had come out in a box and that meant assembly was going to be required (I figured this may be the case prior, but wasn't sure). I figured I could handle this, but I'll admit I was a little bit nervous. I wasn't as worried about putting it together as I was getting the box inside. I was solo and I was contemplating what I could use like a dolly. My vacuum cleaner maybe? How about my computer chair? I didn't want to have to send out an SOS because I'm a big girl and I can do stuff on my own, so I just thought harder.

How do you solve this problem? You open the box in the bed of your pickup and you take it out of the box and carry it in piece by piece. It actually worked out pretty well because then I was near the trash once I was ready to pitch the box. Once I got everything inside I started to read the instructions and within about two hours I had my table and benches put together. I even had to use their little stick tool because the hex bit I had for the electric screwdriver was too small, and the other Allen wrenches I had were no different than what they sent.

It took two nights worth of projects, but my dining room is finally looking like somebody resides there. It's feeling a little bit more like home. The next thing on the list is an upgraded couch, and maybe an actual end table that is not a TV tray.

Now that I live where my friends live there is a better chance of visitors. That means I actually have to keep the place up and looking decent. This is not a problem I had for the past five years, but I think it's a good problem to have!

No comments: