Thursday, September 10, 2015

Puffs and stuff...

Living in Lawrence has given me an opportunity to be adventurous. I'm not typically one to step outside my comfort zone, but new friends in a new place have pushed me to do that. So far, so good. I think everybody needs that once in a while.

I know I did.

I've had a lot of new adventures lately, but the newest was taking a cooking class at The Merc. It's a local grocery cooperative that has a gigantic variety of all-natural, organic, and all that stuff I usually scoff at. However, it does provide a great place for those to shop who choose (or are forced) to eat differently than I do. At The Merc there is an emphasis on local. On their website you can get information from farm to fork. This is something that has become more important to consumers, and places like The Merc helped pioneer this concept.

From a marketing perspective it was interesting. I roamed the aisles and found things I've never heard of before. It expanded my horizons, and I'll be honest here, it proved to me that people will pay big bucks for words. But, I digress. At The Merc you can grind your own peanut (or any nut) butter, and you can get a wide variety of allergy free foods, vegetarian options, and yes, grass fed butter. That kind of made me scratch my head a little, but where there is a market - there's a product.

To each his own.

The Merc not only focuses on local, and healthy food options, but they focus on outreach and education. This is what is great about this little store around the corner from my apartment. They offer several classes throughout the month, and they have a great facility for hosting these classes. Last night was my first go at a cooking class and the subject was "puffs and stuff - the art of the cream puff."

That's right. I learned to make cream puffs - the right way. And, using grass fed butter.

A chef or instructor stands at the front of the class while we all sit at tables that are set like dinner. They demonstrate and you can ask questions, as they walk through the steps giving tips and tricks to the perfect dish. The best part is the tasting! They hand out samples of everything they make, and you can taste as they cook.

We learned how to make a savory cheese puff that wasn't filled, we learned to make the traditional puffs with Bavarian cream and chocolate Bavarian cream filling. She walked us through the steps to making the perfect filling, and the perfect whipped cream. She also showed us how to make swan puffs.

Sidenote: They don't allow photos during the class, so I didn't get any, so you'll have to use your imagination. 

We learned the proper way to make chocolate ganache, and that adding 2 tablespoons of coconut oil will give it a hard shell when it hits something cold. Other tips included substitutions. Using different types of milk, or substitutions for milk for dairy allergies. I did learn that cream puff dough is a lot more forgiving than I thought. It's kind of hard to screw up, and if you do - it's fixable.

Other things I learned:

  • Cream puffs are great for rustic weddings (according to some lady in the back).
  • Grass-fed butter is just "fantastic" and tastes "so fresh" (um, I couldn't taste the difference).
  • Dark chocolate above 75 percent is terrible, and you should avoid it.
  • Throwing in some coffee to dark chocolate desserts enhances flavor.
  • A vanilla bean is really the best way to flavor. (I'll just head out to my garden and get some...)
  • If you "must" use imitation vanilla, double the amount because it's just alcohol anyway.
  • Parmesan cheese is "so much fresher" when you grate it (dried Kraft shouldn't exist).
  • Soy milk curdles most things and is terrible to cook with.
  • Coconut milk in a can is "so nice." 

I did legitimately learn a few things, and laughed a couple of times at the absurd questions that came from the room, but my first cooking class was well worth the $18 fee. I had a new experience. I think I'll try another one sometime.

I hear they're making crepes in November!

No comments: